In a sellers market is it really necessary to prep your home for sale? The answer is yes. With house prices climbing higher and higher, buyers are bringing every dollar they can to secure the deal. Which is why buyers prefer and battle over well maintained, really clean homes with neutral yet trendy paint colors and beautiful decor… they can move right in!
Here are 10 things you can do to maximize interest, showings and offers on your property for todays buyers.
- Deep clean – This is one of the easiest things you can do. Deep clean every thing. And I mean everything. Clean your furniture, wash your windows, vacuum and wipe down every single surface.
- Declutter – Get rid of all the extra stuff that distracts from your homes best features. If you don’t want to take it with you now is definitely the time to get rid of it. Trust me when I say that in the end it will make moving easier.
- Paint – Painting is one of the quickest things you can do to change the overall look and feel of the home. Paint colors date a home faster than people think. The deep beiges, rustic golds and earthy reds scream 1990 more than you think. It also does wonders to clean up the space. Beat up walls and trim make the house feel neglected and dirty.
- Landscape – Curb appeal is super important. If it doesn’t look good on the outside, what’s going to motivate them to go in? Remove dead trees and weeds, cut back anything that’s overgrown, lay fresh mulch and always place a pot of seasonal flowers next to your front door.
- Finish those projects and make the necessary repairs – Now is the time to fix that cabinet door that just won’t shut. The faucet thats leaking and replace that broken window pane. Alone they may not feel like a lot but those things add up and make a buyer feel like you didn’t or don’t care for the home.
- Add trendy updates – Think stainless steel appliances, quartz counter tops, plumbing fixtures and new lighting. None of these have to break the bank but these updates go a long way for buyers.
- Replace the carpet – Just do it. Most people find old carpet to be gross. Especially if it’s stained and sagging. At the very minimum have it cleaned and stretched.
- Check your mechanicals – These are commonly flagged on an inspection and can be expensive for buyers. Have them cleaned and serviced prior to listing.
- Rearrange your furniture – People like flow. They like rooms that make sense. They don’t need a chair for everyone. They prefer intimate conversation areas and dining room tables with enough room to walk around. Night stands next to beds and a spot to set their keys or hang their coat when they enter.
- Accessorize your home. Add back in the finishing touches. These are the extra special touches that make the house feel like a home. Spruce up your bedding, buy a new rug for the front entry and fresh towels for the bathrooms. Place fresh flowers on the kitchen table and the bathroom vanities. Anything that creates a welcoming and trendy vibe in the space.
Simply put, the better the house looks in pictures the more interest and showings and offers you will receive!