Thinking of selling your home? Here are 5 budget friendly things you can do this weekend to increase the value of your home before you sell.
- Clean and declutter. At this point this one should not surprise you. It tops every single list for a reason. I can’t tell you how many outdated homes we’ve seen sell because they were clean and organized. Home buyers felt that the home was well taken care of and even though it wasn’t pretty they were able to see past the decor and actually look at the bones of the house. I tell all our clients, to clean and then clean again and when in doubt, throw it out or pack it away.
- Clean your carpet. If you have carpet anywhere in your house GET IT CLEANED! And stretched if necessary. Dirty carpet is gross. It makes home buyers think about the cleanliness of the rest of the home and then they start to think about replacement costs. Don’t let them go there, get it cleaned and if those stains don’t come out consider replacing your carpet.
- Paint the most used rooms in your house. I can almost guarantee that they need it. Think hallways, front entry ways, bathrooms and kitchens. We’re hard on our houses and it shows on our walls. Dirt and grime just have a way of accumulating especially if you like to cook a lot of have littles running around your house touching everything! Be sure to paint a neutral color that work with your decor.
- Replace old and outdated hardware in your kitchen or bath. This small change can make a big impact on the look and feel of your kitchen and bath, the two most impactful rooms of your home. Pay attention to trending styles and finishes. The difference between gold and silver, polished or brushed nickel can make or break the look of the space.
- Update your lights. If I had to pick two spots to focus on I would focus on the pendant lights in the kitchen and the light in your dining room. But if you have the time and the money don’t forget the bathroom and while you’re add it replace all the boob lights in your house. It’s amazing the difference a light can have on a room. People groan when they see old and outdated lights from the 90’s, it’s all so heavy and dark. Give them something to ohh and aww over.
All these project come with a minimal investment but they will and do make a big impact on the look and feel of your home and will increase the value of your home. Todays buyers want to move right in and have their homes look and feel like all the images they see on HGTV and Instagram.
And I know it’s hard to justify spending money on upgrades to increase the value of your home when you’re moving and would rather spend that money on your new house. But the difference these small upgrade may make on whether or not your home sells quickly or lingers on the market are priceless.