Is buying a home one of your 2016 New Years goals? Following these simple and easy steps will help you achieve your goal.
1. Get pre-approved for a home loan. This is important, it’s good to know exactly how much you can spend before you spend hours looking and falling in love with a home you may not be able to afford. You will also need this before you can make an offer. In a fast moving market like Minneapolis, if you don’t have a pre-approval letter the sellers won’t take your offer seriously.
2. Now that you know a little more about your finances, start saving! For your down payment, closing costs or the new furniture you’d like to buy after you move in!
3. Do a little research on where you want to live. Talk to friends, family and co-workers. What do they like /not like about their city or neighborhood? What’s the commute like? Who lives there? Ask about schools, even if you don’t have or plan to have children, ask how the homes near them are selling. Both are good indicators of how desirable the neighborhood is.
4. Contact the Matt Engen Group. It’s time to start the search. Having someone on your side who is familiar with the area, who understands the process and is an expert negotiator is critical. Buying a home is a major financial and emotional undertaking, having someone on your side will make this process more manageable and fun for you.
5. Start looking at houses. For most people this is the fun part!
6. Fall in love with a home and make an offer. There are many steps, decisions to make and forms to fill out to make this happen. Good thing you’ve decided to work with a REALTOR. Having someone on your side walking you through how to make an offer and what to include will make putting in an offer less stressful and more manageable.
7. And now the fun starts. Once the offer is accepted there are home inspections, appraisals, home owners insurance to buy and a variety of other tasks that need to be completed to get you to the closing table. The closing table is where the deed is actually transferred, you get keys and the house becomes yours. Look for more on this in our next blog post.