It’s that time of the year. Our phone is ringing and people are asking the question “We’re thinking of selling our home in the Spring, what should we be doing to get it ready?” So we put together this list.
- Clean – you need a clean slate to really understand the current condition of your home.
- Open your window treatments, let the light shine in.
- Paint – now that you’ve let the light in and cleaned the walls you may or may not notice the need for a fresh coat of paint. When selecting a new color, be sure to pay attention to trends, nothing dates a home quicker than outdated colors, you don’t want the buyer to feel like your house is stuck in the 90’s.
- When painting don’t forget the trim!
- Replace the carpet – even if you took good care of your carpet it probably a lot more matted down and dirtier than you realize. If it really doesn’t need to be replaced consider getting it cleaned.
- Organize and declutter – now is the time, and this is not a small or easy task. Be ruthless as you go through room by room, closet by closet and clear your house of everything you no longer need or use.
- Remove personal pictures – you don’t need to remove every single picture, a little personality is always welcome but an entire gallery wall dedicated to your little cutie pie is just too much.
- Pay attention to the little things – replace dirty, missing or broken switch plates and outlet covers.
- Finish all unfinished projects – that missing screen, the broken door…
- Replace all missing, burnt out lightbulbs – proper lighting is important.
Keep in mind that this is just the beginning, there may be more to do, but this will get you started and headed in the right direction.