Spring is in the air! Which means it’s time to clean and spruce up our homes. For many of us our homes are one of our largest investments so taking care of it should be a top priority. A well maintained home will sell quick in any market. Maintaining your home is critical to to keep and even increase its value.
Follow the checklist below to get your home ready for spring in no time!
- Clean up the yard. Pick up wrappers, sweep the sidewalks, take down the holiday lights and remove all those dead winter greens.
- Replace your welcome mat.
- Clean the siding if possible and check for damage to exterior woodwork. Repair and reseal areas as needed.
- Check the condition and clean your windows. Chalk and replace weather stripping where needed. A tight seal keeps out air and water.
- Take a look at the chimney, foundation and roof. Call in the experts if you see missing shingles, see cracks in the foundation or missing joints between the bricks on your chimney. All of those can lead to water getting inside your home and no one wants that.
- Give your AC unit a once over. Change the filter and check hose connections for leaks. If your AC wasn’t running the best at the end of the year now is the time to call in a professional.
- Dust the trim, window and door casings and don’t forget to dust the fans in bedrooms and bathrooms.
- Wash or dry clean the curtains and dust the blinds.
- Wash or replace the shower liner.
- Vacuum the furniture and mattresses. Consider renting a carpet cleaner or calling in a professional.
- Remove everything from your kitchen and bathroom cabinets, wipe down the inside and outside of the cabinets with warm soapy water. Now is also an excellent time to remove any unwanted, expired or broken items, consider donating them or throwing them away.
- Pull out the refrigerator and clean behind it.
- Get rid of all that old paint and other hazardous items. For locations in the Twin Cities check here.
- Remove all items from the mudroom and wipe down the surfaces. Store the winter gear away and bring out the summer fun!