You can change the paint color, you can get a new front door, heck you can even remodel the kitchen but you can’t change the location of your new home or your neighbors. So before you put in an offer please take a closer look at the neighborhood. Here’s what I suggest.
- Google your neighborhood. When I google the Kenny neighborhood of Minneapolis the first thing that comes up is the neighborhood website. And it’s filled with all kinds of useful information about the community, upcoming neighborhood events, groups I can join and helpful links. Check to see if the neighborhood has a Facebook or Twitter page.
- Take a walk. That’s right. Walk around the neighborhood, what do you see, who do you meet? If you’d walk around my neighborhood you’d see people out walking the dog, running or riding their bikes and kids are often playing in the front yards.
- Check out the neighborhood hot spot, coffee shop and schools. You can find this info by checking Foursquare, Yelp, and Google Local for reviews and recommendations.
- Get in your car and drive to work. Even better do it at your usual ‘go to’ work time. How long does it take you? Be honest with yourself, you are going to be making this commute multiple times a day, 5 days a week.
- Take a close look at your neighbors front and back yard. Do you like what you see. If their lawn ornaments are driving you nuts now just wait.
- And finally talk to as many people as you can about the neighborhood. Who do you know that lives there, what do they like, what don’t they like?